Grade 6-8 Technology Courses
6th grade Technology is a half-semester course which introduces students to the Massapequa School District Technology STEM program.
- Students learn basic skills and concepts such as measuring, coding, problem solving and communication skills.
- In this hands-on, project-based course, students build and code Lego Robots and explore the Marble Drop Challenge.
In 7th grade, students have the opportunity to build upon their 6th grade experiences. In this hands-on, project based course, students:
- Continue with the Lego Robotics program, building on prior knowledge and creating more advanced programs for their robots
- Have the opportunity to explore a variety of woodworking projects, giving students an introduction to basic hand tools and the engineering and design process
- Use an array of materials during the Boom project, an efficiency project, where students compete to build the strongest structure with limited materials
- Build their own wind powered car from recycled materials
8th grade is an exciting year in Technology Education for students! This project-based, hands-on course, exposes students to:
- The world of STEM and provides a strong foundation for students to continue taking technology electives offered at Ames and MHS.
- Use and build upon prior knowledge from 6th and 7th grade technology to design and construct Truss Bridges
- Build and race Mag-Lev Vehicles
- Assemble and craft air-powered Rockets
- Program Robots
- Make Wind Turbine blades