Anxiety...What is Happening to Our Kids?
What is Anxiety?
Disproportionate reactions of tension and worry characterize anxiety. The American Psychological Association (APA) defines anxiety as "an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure."
3 INGREDIENTS IN ANXIETY:
- Biological sensitivity
- Personality traits
- Stress overload
- Most common, chronic, costly emotional disorder in U.S. (NIMH) and in 16 or 17 countries
- Adults: 25% lifetime prevalence
- Children: 25%
- Female teens 30% and male teens 20%
- Post 911 world and the war on terroism
- Information overload
- Separation Anxiety
- Selective Mutism
- Panic Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Medically Induced Anxiety
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorders